Announcement

PTSO Meeting Minutes May 10, 2018

Meeting Date: May 10, 2108

Lynn called the meeting to order at 5:38 p.m.
Introductions skipped for the purpose of brevity.
Minutes reviewed. Motion passed to accept minutes from April 2018 meeting.

 

President's Report skipped.

 

Principal's Report:
Mr. Sanchez reported on the following topics:
- District Closure - majority of sites didn't have to extend the school year. We only had to move one event (A+ party), everything else remained essentially unaffected.
- End of the Year Activities:
- Washington D.C. Trip--thanks to all of the chaperones and teachers who went to D.C. All got back safely and had a great time.
- Girls Track took 3rd place in the city competition! Thanks to PTSO/teacher Mary Wnek for helping coach and support the team.
- Disneyland trip for 8th graders went well and was impactful for a lot of kids. Thanks  Ms. G. And chaperones!
- 4th Quarter STEM Night, May 8 was a success--thanks to PTSO for prize money
- 'Educator Professional Week' May 7-11 was great! Lots of elements, including PTSO  lunch and breakfast. Thanks to all helpers who made it happen!
- TUSD Recognition Ceremonies April 24-May 19: Lots of different recognitions for Asian Americans, Native Americans, African Americans during those dates.
- Band, Orchestra, and Choir all had performances May 11-15
- SKY School May 11-12
- Faculty/Staff vs. Students basketball game May 15
- UHS Testing for 7th graders May 16. Study materials are available in the library.
- A+ School of Excellence Assemblies on May 17, Superintendent Trujillo and Pima
 County Superintendent of Schools, Dustin Williams to attend. Will receive banner,
 $500, cake & Eegee's
- Yearbooks are handed out the 21st at lunchtime. Were $20 but will go up to $25.
- Promotion Activities:
- Free dress 8th graders 21*, 22, 23
- All 8th graders (who can) should donate two shirts and one bottom (shorts, pants,  skirt), all washed.
- Promotion Dance (for all being promoted) 5:30-7:30 on May 21
- Breakfast and video on Wed, May 23
- Promotion on May 23 (promotees report by 5:30 p.m.) at UA Student Union
- Last Day of School May 24, Grading Day May 25. Report cards sent out following week.
- School hours for summer are 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Except July 2-13, school is shut down
 entirely.
- BOOST/STEM Summer School is June's 4-28, 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.

Mansfeld Magnet PTSO Meeting Minutes
- FTE & Support Services: 2 Teacher openings, Attendance Clerk, Principal. Discussed Mr. Sanchez's promotion and that he is very appreciative and will be as engaged in the hiring  process as is allowed.
- Student Registration July 25, 26 from 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m. And 1:00 p.m.-3:00 p.m.
- New Student Orientation July 27 from 9:00 a.m.-11:00 a.m.
- Discussed having PTSO table at all registrations and orientation with flyers, sign-ups for   volunteers and the form to sign up for REMIND. Will man the table as we all are able.

School Community Liaison Report:
- From 8th Grade meeting--$200 of fruit platters can/will be provided for the 8th grade breakfast
- Marquee has a glitch with the TUSD firewall. Fix is to have a dedicated computer in the office just for the marquee. Extra money from the Pascua Yaqui Tribe donation, just  needs to advise them where it is being spent. Generously wants us to use it.
- Paint job on the school is going great--still in progress, fixing overspray, etc.

Treasurer's Report:
- 501.c3 is official, same Tax ID as Wells Fargo account, need $10 check to file Corp  Commission with the state and then again in November with IRS. Change of address  (form 8822-B) & responsible party will have to be filed with the IRS. Thanks so much to Lisa Coney & Janice for making this happen!
- $270 went to STEMfest-distributed this week, as approved in January meeting
- DC Fundraiser balance distributed to parents
- $58.20 received from Box Tops - usually used for field trips
- Need more money for the teacher PBIS lunches. Motion passed to give $384 to principal
- Motion passed for $1,500 from Special Projects to PBIS budget line
- $78 still in the marquee fund - restricted
- Motion passed to reimburse Mr. Sanchez $48.92 for 9 uniform shirts
- Motion passed to reimburse Ms. Bittel $49.25 from courtesy meals (for A+ judge panel)
Orchestra concert started so a few parents had to leave, including President, Lynn Helseth. Mr.Sanchez took over the meeting.

New Business:
- It was discussed that Maria Ballesteros would be willing to be Vice President. She was nominated as such, seconded, and voted to be PTSO VP.
- Red for Ed support discussed. Not as time sensitive to determine support now. And now  that it is a petition for a ballot measure, with 501.c3 we cannot get involved politically.
- 8th Grade Promotion Dance:
- DJ ($150) was reserved by student council
- Motion to spend up to $200 to use for decorations (Mary Wnek is liaison)
- Mary will call about and get 45 pizzas (will work with Karen for funding)
- Food for dance: normally vanilla, chocolate cakes, and will find out some alternatives for allergy kids
- Maria will bring large drink coolers to prepare already acquired (canned mixes) drinks 8th Grade Breakfast and video presentation:
- Discussion about different breakfast food options from previously determined 'continental  breakfast'. Need to provide food for approximately 350 (338 plus 10 teachers). Burritos  were discussed but more costly and as always, not all will satisfy everyone. Committee  will make final determinations with money provided by PTSO.
- Kitchen will be utilized
- After video, they line up buffet style and eat in courtyard
- Fruit-Jodi Gutierrez ($200 fruit platters)
- Motion passed for PTSO spend up to $2,100 (anything over the money in that account will  come from Special Projects).
- Ask kids for $2 if they can, pay by Friday 5/18 (nice to have buy-in from students and can 'beef' it up a bit more as choices go)
(Secretary had to leave meeting at 7:35 p.m. President Lynn Helseth had returned so she finished minutes after I left at 7:35 p.m.)
- Regarding fundraising, Lynn will contact Sara to see if she has any ideas about selling  flowers at promotion and to get details about this. (Since the meeting it was determined  that we cannot do this at UA without prior approval of vendors, we can explore next year).
-Karen brought a concern that there had been a private message sent to PTSO over  Facebook - We don't know details. Karen was concerned that we had not responded to  that message yet. Our consensus was that PTSO should respond to complaints/
 messages of this kind stating that all non-PTSO related concerns or complaints should be  referred to Mansfeld administration.
- Discussion about how to get more community engagement. We have tried lots of different  methods and it's frustrating that we get very low turnout for the meetings. We are not a  walk-in school that is easily accessible to our students with a walk down the block, so  community events like carnivals or dinners would not work as well for us. Maria  suggested that having an informal PTSO meeting with parents at one of the fundraiser  dinners might work well; she said it worked well for Robison elem. when they had one at  Peter Piper Pizza. Will continue to brainstorm and try some different things.

Meeting adjourned at 7:49 p.m.

Terms Of Use | Privacy Statement | | Login
Copyright 2018 – SchoolDesk